Monday, April 16, 2012

This Is What Spring Should Look Like...

Growing up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula has gotten me used to wacky weather. But yesterday and today have pretty much taken the cake for my Minnesota experience thus far. Saturday was gorgeous and balmy, staying in the mid-70s all day. Yesterday started out cloudy and muggy, the temperature hovering right around 65 degrees. After dinner, just as my boyfriend and I were about to leave his aunt and uncle's where we had been eating, the sky turned the weird just-before-a-storm tan, then went REALLY dark. We watched in awe as a sheet of rain raced toward us, first consuming the backyards of the people across the street, then the road, then us. There was thunder and lightening and hail, all in all, quite a spectacle. Once we got back to campus and the storm blew over, the temperature began dropping lower and lower...and finally this morning as I was waiting for the bus, there were snowflakes flying.
Needless to say, the snow and cold, whipping winds have made me slightly depressed. I was so excited for spring with all the trees putting out great-smelling blooms, lilacs blooming and everything turning green.

So to combat the sadness of the cold, rainy day, here's what it SHOULD look like outside. I took these pictures the Friday before Easter and never posted them. Hopefully these sunny daffodils will brighten the gloomy day slightly.





Here's to hoping spring comes back soon!

6 comments:

  1. Oh I hope the weather turns into warm spring soon...great daffs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing says spring like sunny daffodils! But snowflakes? I hope spring will return to you soon and stay awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I hope so as well. With the wackiness of the weather, I'm guessing it'll be back to spring eventually and hopefully to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely daffodils. Are they popular over in the US? There's hardly a street that lacks Daffodils over here in England!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they're pretty popular over here as well. There's hardly a garden over here that lacks daffodils in the spring. They like putting them in most of the public gardens too, and my university has them in a lot of the gardens in front of our buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, it depends on the zone you live in because the US is so huge and has so many different climates. Even if they're hardy in warmer climates, I don't know if they'd be popular in some of the desert areas out west. I don't know too much about English hardiness zoning, but I think I remember you all are zones 7 through 10. My university is in zone 4 and my hometown in zone 5, and we still have lots of daffodils too. They're hardy up to zone 4 so it has to be really cold for them to die off.

      Delete