Monday, January 14, 2013

A Garden Journal



While reading the gardening books I got from the library this week, I found so many ideas and snippets of useful information, I knew I was never going to remember them all. I found the solution to my problem when one of the books suggested creating a garden journal. Using a barely used sketchbook I found in the piles of notebooks and drawings in my room, I finally had a place to write, keep all the information, ideas and projects I was finding. I also can keep journal entries to track plants I'm growing, record observations on projects and plant growth and plan out future gardening endeavor.

Inspiration taken out of Better Homes and Gardens magazines.


I've jotted down lots of clever ideas for starting seeds, plants I had no idea were edible and projects for some point in the future when I have the time and the space for them. I've also gathered up all of my mom's old "Better Home's and Gardens" magazines and ripped out and included gorgeous garden photos for inspiration and smaller plant pictures for decoration in my journal. A few pages are also devoted to recipes that I've found in the gardening books.


Some ideas and facts about tomatoes. 


The biggest bonus about keeping a journal is, however, having a place to write down those hard to remember varieties or to-do list so when it slips your mind later, you can go back and find it. This can be really helpful when you're off to the greenhouse or garden center and can't for the life of you remember that tomato cultivar or that variety of hydrangea you wanted to try. I know that I'm terribly forgetful when it comes to things like this, so I think the journal will be able to help me keep my head on straight.

Some herbs categorized by different flavors.

I'm having a lot of fun with it and would recommend making one to anyone who hasn't already. I'm definitely not the first person to think of keeping a journal for gardening ideas and garden planning, but I'm certainly a fan after having so much fun making mine. Since I like to draw my plants as well as grow and write about them, I'm using a sketchbook with large, blank pages and lots of room to write, draw and plan. I'd recommend this if you think you'll be sketching your future garden ideas. I love journals and sketchbooks because they can be as different as their writers are different. You can have one as simple as plant names and the dates you planted them, or as complex as conglomerations of pictures, plans, recipes and inspiration for gardens you'd like to have years in the future.

5 comments:

  1. Great idea, yours looks very good. I don't think I'm dedicated enough to do this and keep on top of a blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying to keep myself motivated to write in it at least occasionally. But you're right, it can get neglected sometimes!

      Delete
  2. I love your garden journal! You inspire me to start one -- I have bits of info all over the place. I need to get started on this before gardening season begins. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to know how it goes! :)

      Delete


  3. Hello ,Awesome Informations , i learn more new thing from this ,i like to learn new informations about gardening, Thanks for share

    Bonsai Trees For Indoors

    ReplyDelete