Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Harvest Excitement

Harvest day at the farm is my absolute favorite. It's the real reason I do the work I do because it's so incredibly satisfying to pick those ripe raspberries or that perfect head of lettuce and know that it's going to end up on someone's plate. Today, I had the pleasure of adventuring through the jungle that is the perennial herb/fruit tree/berry plot to find the seasons first berries, some mint and even a few cherries! The lettuces my coworkers harvested looked scrumptious as well. One of the other highlights of the day, besides the berry picking, was harvest basil. My mouth waters just thinking about how good that basil smelled.

                              

Speaking of basil, I planted that in my personal garden plot at the farm today. I can't wait to add it to my pasta dishes soon! I also planted my tomato plants (finally!) over the weekend and I'm excited for the next good soaking of rain to send them shooting out new growth. Minnesota has been ending June slightly damp from all the rain that's been coming through. But the upside to that is that after most of the major storms we've had, hot sunny weather has followed, meaning that the plants grow like crazy!

Our squashes shot out a couple of inches after the last storm and, over the weekend an IPM (Integrated Pest Management) practicum took place on the farm and gave us a heads up on some squash bugs that decided they wanted to lay their eggs on our beauties. We spent most of Monday on our hands and knees, examining each individual squash plant for these nasty buggers. Squash bugs lay copper colored eggs in clusters on the underside of leaves and just picking them off won't stop them from hatching. You'll need to drop the eggs in soapy water in order to kill them.

                             

We also found a few live bugs and some tasty grubs for our boys out in the chicken pasture. We've got a little under 200 Red Ranger broiler chickens in "chicken tractors" that we move along the field. The chickens get to be outside and have new ground to peck at every day and we get our field fertilized. 

                                   

We'll be sad to see them go, but in a few weeks we'll have another batch of broilers to raise from chicks. And who doesn't love little fluffy chicks?

No comments:

Post a Comment